Sunday, May 29, 2011

Book Preview: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare






Monsters, magic, and romance in New York City - what more can you ask for?



It’s after dark in New York City, and Clary Fray is seeing things.  The best-looking guy in the nightclub has just stabbed a boy to death – but the victim has vanished into thin air.  Her mother has disappeared, and a hideous monster is lurking in her apartment. 

With her life spiraling into darkness, Clary realizes that she has stumbled into an invisible war between ancient demonic forces and secretive Shadowhunters – a war in which she has a fateful role to play…

The Mortal Instruments books have quietly developed a fan base at the school.  I reviewed City of Bones in August 2009 and donated my copy to the SRR.  It had come in sixth in the 2008 Teens Top Ten Awards running up against books like Eclipse and Deathly Hollows that year.  

I still think the book was better than Meyers' Twilight books because it has a faster pace and a more interesting plot.  I remember really enjoying this one (though I'm sad to say I never got around to finishing the series as I'd become vampired out at the time). 

My old copy is still being read today, though the first few pages are starting to separate, that hasn't stopped students from borrowing it.  Actually, it is usually a fellow student who forces a friend to read it.  In 5A, several girls listed City of Bones as one of their favourite books of all time.

Last year I put it on the purchase list for the school library and they bought two copies so you can always check there for it.  It has the exact same cover as pictured in this post.  However, it is pretty popular so students have said it isn't usually there. 

Anyway, I have been getting so many requests for this book that I bought a new copy at Booker, Gadong.  I loved this book and I know a lot of students have enjoyed it so I just had to buy another copy.  There is a girl in 9S3 who has reserved it, but you can waitlist for it if you like.  Just come by the office and add your name to the list. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment